Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Chapter 18!! And announcements!

Well!! I've reached the end of my high school career! That's right, tomorrow it will officially be over. Graduation baby!!!!

Yes,  the offer still stands about guessing for Florida. Please guess, so far its only Mel. Hmmmm... lets see, there was another something but i can't remember it. Enjoy chapter 18.



Chapter Eighteen

We stood on the back patio, staring out into the vast gardens for a moment before Kitty bounded down the steps into the labyrinth of flowers.
“How much time would you say is spent maintaining this garden?” She asked, spinning in a circle, her hands outstretched at her sides, her head thrown back

Stitch smirked. “That's all Ayrin does. He's the groundskeeper, nothing more.” he laughed, “He spends all day, every day out here making my flowers beautiful.”

“Dang,” Jay sighed, “That guy must be the color of mud if he spends all day out in the sun.”

Stitch rolled his eyes, “Definitely the color of mud.” He stepped carefully and deliberately down the steps onto the gravel, stepping to Kitty's side, and bending to whisper something in her ear.

Kitty furrowed her brow, looking up at him for a moment before taking a step away and bending down over a white rose bush. She didn't say anything more, and he remained just as silent. I stared at them, confused by the exchange. Jay and I stood, quite silently, just waiting for them to say something, but when no response came, Jay stepped down to Kitty's side. Suddenly a large Monarch butterfly flew in front of my face, landing on my shoulder, and crawling to my neck, resting on the butterfly pendant I forgot I wore. It stayed there for a time before fluttering away, teasing me, beckoning me to follow. Curiosity got the better of me. There was no way a butterfly could actually be calling me to follow it, but what did I have to lose? After all, I did want to see the gardens. Glancing at my friends, I noted that they were quite preoccupied with the roses, Stitch was explaining something which was apparently captivating. I didn't see the harm in slipping away. Glancing back to the path before me, I noticed the butterfly waiting on a flower not to far ahead.

I stepped down the patio quietly, sneaking across the gravel. As I approached, the butterfly fluttered off the flower and glided down the path. Taking in the beauty of the sea of flowers around me, I soon found myself in a thick wood, quite unaware of the direction I had come in. Crap. Now I'm lost. I thought to myself, turning in a hopeless circle. Suddenly I found a small bridge crossing a stream to my right. I walked to the water's edge and looked down at it. Staring up at me was my reflection, simple, boring, nothing really to look at, but suddenly over my shoulder another face appeared. Blonde hair, bright blue eyes, a sweetly seductive smile on his lips. I turned on my heel, nearly losing my balance and toppling into the stream, but found no one in the area. Turning again to the stream I found my reflection and nothing more. Staring into my own eyes for a long time, my reflection began to change until I found myself staring into Vance's eyes again. He smiled, sweet and charming, and then vanished when something that sounded much like the roar of a huge cat echoed through the trees. I stumbled backward a few paces from the stream, clutching my hand to my chest. What had just happened?

“Hello?” I called into the forest around me, turning in slow, small circles. “Is anyone out there?”

Only a bird answered me, its high-pitched call echoing through the trees. Sighing I walked forward again, careful not to look into the stream as I crossed the bridge and gasped, taking in the sight. The light broke through the trees gently highlighting what looked like a pond just beyond the bridge. I had found myself quite lost in the labyrinth of Stitch's garden, finding myself alone in this small haven despite my hallucinations in the stream. Slowly I stepped off the end of the bridge toward a set of chairs placed near the pond.

Perhaps he came out here to paint the pond, or the trees. It was all quite beautiful, certainly good enough to paint. When I reached the chairs, I studied them, gently trailing my fingers across the backs, drawing the patterns.. They had been positioned in a way that if two people were to sit down, their knees would have to be touching, facing the small pond full of fish directly in front of them. Does he bring girls out here? I asked myself suddenly, imagining the countless number of girls he could have brought to this very place, sitting knee to knee, watching the sunset. I pictured him reaching for her hand, resting on her lap, and the girl didn't bother to pull away. He leaned over to whisper something in the girl's ear. The girl smiled. What had he told her? I was dying to know. The girl leans closer to Stitch, their faces nearly touching. His forehead rests on hers. He leans in, and their lips meet. His hand moves to her jaw, and hers fall on his shoulders. She slips out of her chair and onto his lap. He doesn't seem to mind, pulling her closer into him.

“NO!” I yelled, knocking the chair to the side in a sudden fit of jealousy, the images fading from view.

Why had I done that? I.... I didn't even like Stitch. Maybe I did. Did I? No. I had Tony, and that was all I needed. He was sweet, caring, and would never do anything to hurt me. He loved me, and I loved him. We are perfect for each other. I don't need anything else. Nothing more, nothing less... but there was something about Stitch that Tony just didn't have. Something that I inexplicably craved. I couldn't put my finger on it to save my life, but something about that boy drew me to him in a way that I didn't understand. Whenever I was with him, everything felt right. I turned back to the chair I had knocked over and set it back up. After I had set the chair in place, I gazed out across the little clearing and noticed a wood building. Odd, I wonder what that is. Checking once more to see that I was indeed the only one out here, I walked quietly and carefully across the clearing to the building. The wood was aged, and warped with the elements of time and weather as if it had stood for hundreds of years.

It wasn't a large building big enough for two people to live in comfortably, maybe a storage shed, but why so far from the house? I walked around it, noticing a single window on one of the walls. I stood on my tip toes trying to see into the dark shed, but couldn't see anything. There wasn't enough light with the trees around. Moving back to the front of of the shed, I carefully put my hand on the doorknob and turned it. It was unlocked, and creaked loudly as I pushed the door open. A dusty light filtered in from the open door, but there still wasn't enough light there to see anything. I stepped inside, pulling my phone out of my pocket, and using it as a flashlight. I moved carefully through the dark, lighting my path until I thought I stood in about the middle of the room. I raised my phone, shining the light on the wall in front of me. There was a bed, queen sized, the quilts ruffled slightly. I felt my stomach tighten again. He must come here after he's buttered them up with kisses out there... I growled inwardly. But though my blind jealousy another thought crossed my mind. He's not that kind of boy.

“Sure he isn't.” I said aloud, taking a few steps forward until my knees were flush with the edge of the bed. I put my hand on it, feeling a thick layer of dust and sighed. “He's not...” A smile found its way to my lips as I stepped away from the bed.

I crossed the room and found a table cluttered with ancient yellowing paper. Why did he have all this stuff out here? Was this where his more... ancient ancestors lived? The papers certainly looked old enough. Carefully I picked one up, and studied it. The writing was faded, and only a few words could be made out. He'll never stop until he has....

“Has what?” I said to no one in particular, squinting at the page, hoping to make out the rest of the sentence. I picked up another piece of paper. This was written in a different hand. I'll protect you. He'll never have... “Have what?!” I put the papers down and stepped away form the table.

What were those letters about? Who were they from? And who is this person they keep saying won't get something? Suddenly my phone vibrated in my hand. I looked down at it. You ought not to be snooping in places you weren't invited to... I glared at my screen. Who was this person, and how did they know I was here? I looked around, and my phone started buzzing again. This time it was a call. Without looking at the screen, I pounced.

“Who are you and why do you keep sending those creepy texts!” I demanded, waiting for an answer.

“I haven't sent you any texts, Laela.” It was Kitty. “Where are you? We've been looking everywhere!”

“Oh... I was just um... following a butterfly and got a little lost.” I admitted sheepishly.

“Following... a butterfly? Well, where are you? I'm sure if we describe it to Stitch he could find you.”

“I'm in a little wooden house... I think its a house... anyway, I went across a bridge to a little pond and then found this house... I'm not really in the gardens anymore unless you count trees as gardens.”

“Um, here, talk to Stitch.” I heard her hand the phone off.

“Lost, darling?” He laughed, his accent making me shiver. “Where are you exactly?”

“In a little wooden house just past a fish pond beyond a bridge in the forest...” I said, feeling another wave of jealousy from no where.

“Why are you clear out there?”

“I was following a butterfly...” I felt stupid saying it, but it was true.

There was a long silence over the line. “What kind of butterfly?”

His question caught me off guard. “Um... it was.... a Monarch. A big one.”

“What color?” His questions were getting strange.
“Yellow-orange?” I said, “Why does it matter what color it is?”

“No reason. Just stay where you are. We're coming to get you.” He seemed a little rushed as he passed the phone back to Kitty, who hung up.

I looked around the house again. A little more light had made its way through the window, shining dimly on another table set up across the room. This table housed several photographs in ancient wooden frames. Carefully I stepped across the room and stopped at the table, reaching out and gently picking up the closest photograph. It was a picture of a man, no older than twenty, with dark hair cropped short wearing a military uniform. It looked like it was a photo taken during the first World War. The longer I stared at the picture, the more I felt as if I knew him.

I put the picture down. “Why does that always happen,” I asked myself aloud. “It doesn't matter where I am, if it has to do with Stitch, it's like I've experienced it all before.” I stepped away from the table and out of the house. “It's not healthy.”

Walking back to the pond, I took a careful look around the trees. They were huge, their branches spreading over me, blocking out the sun, giving a serene, and slightly unearthly look to the area. I smiled, weaving in and out of the trunks, my hands slipping across the rough surfaces, eyes closed, taking in every sound, every smell, every movement of the foliage. It seemed like endless hours of serenity when suddenly I heard my name.

“Laela? Where are you?” Kitty's voice rang among the trees.

I took my few final steps out of the thick and into the opening around the pond. “Here, sorry I wondered off.” I blushed, shrugging.

Kitty laughed. “I'm sure you had an enjoyable time out here on your own. It's beautiful!” she turned to look at Stitch. “It really is amazing. I can see why it's your favorite place to be.”

I smiled, looking at Stitch, and noticing another boy among the group. “Who is this?” I asked, raising an eyebrow and staring straight at the boy.

His skin was darker than Stitch's, but his hair was nearly blonde, bleached out by the sun, his eyes sparkling hazel. He didn't look too much older than us, maybe twenty-three at the most. His stance was strong and assertive, straight and tall; he knew who he was, and wasn't afraid of it, or anyone else for that matter.

“This is Ayrin, my groundskeeper.” Stitch said, gesturing to the boy, who stepped forward and nodded his head.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled.

“Well, now that we're all together, The Butterfly House is ready.” Stitch extended his arm toward me. “Shall we?” He smiled, an intoxicating smile, and I couldn't help but to slip my hand into his.

He walked forward, still holding my hand, with Ayrin leading the way. Kitty and Jay walked by his side, asking all sorts of questions about the garden. The way Kitty and Ayrin joked together about the care for the flowers made me wonder if they knew each other before today. It sure seemed like it. As we crossed back over the bridge, I instinctively moved closer to Stitch, keeping my eyes away from the water. It wasn't that I didn't like Vance, I did. It was just odd to see his reflection in the water. Stitch glanced down at me with a warm smile, but didn't say a word, nor did he release his hold on my hand. In fact, he did quite the opposite. He laced his fingers between mine, and smiled to himself. I blushed, my heart racing against my rib cage, my thoughts began to race. Get yourself together, Laela. I scolded myself. You have a boyfriend, his name is Tony. He loves you. Let go of Stitch's hand. I took a deep breath, preparing myself to pull my hand free of his, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Tony is a half a world away. He'll never know... whispered a dark voice in my head. I shook my head and pulled my hand from his, smiling nervously. He didn't say anything, just glanced at our hands, and kept walking quietly.

“That house... how long... what's it for?” I asked, hoping to break our awkward silence.

He looked back over his shoulder as we crossed into the flowery labyrinth. “That house was there before the mansion. It housed my fourth great grandparents and their family, and the next set. It's been there forever.” He smiled. “We just left everything in there. Haven't moved much.”
“Do you ever just go out there and enjoy the memories? Wonder about them?”

“All the time... I'm out there a lot, just imagining what they were like. Mum 'n dad always had the greatest stories to tell about them. I just wish they were around to tell me more.” He looked out ahead of us, a sad longing in his eyes.

I put my hand on his shoulder. “I'm sorry I brought it up. I didn't mean to unearth sad memories.”

He looked at me, put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his chest. “Sometimes it's good to think of these things. It keeps us sane.” He kissed the top of my head, and another rush of heat ran through my body before he released me.

We walked in silence behind the others for the remainder of our trip until we came to a huge glass house. I gasped; it was huge. Staring up at it, I felt like an ant in comparison. Even the steps leading up to the door were larger than normal. The panes of glass were clouded with condensation, plant leaves stuck to them in places. It looked like someone had taken a rainforest and transplanted it into a house. Stitch dismissed Ayrin, and lead us up the stairs to the door. With a courteous smile, he opened the door with a flourish and gestured us inside. Kitty and I were the first to step through the door to a different world.

“Holy hannah, this place is amazing!” Kitty cried, staring up at the huge trees, and countless butterflies fluttering around the room

She snatched my arm and ran deeper into the room with me. We were completely in awe of the things around us, hardly able to contain our enthusiasm. I had never been in a room so full of butterflies in my life. Kitty was in heaven. Butterflies were important to her, and Stitch obviously, and oddly enough, I found myself appreciating them more and more each day. For a long time, butterflies were nothing more to me than a pretty bug that didn't freak me out, but now they meant more. They were the start of a new life, of new adventures, and new friendship. Kitty was rambling ahead of me about how romantic this place was, and that she could spend hours out here just watching the butterflies. I looked around the room again, and sighed. I could spend all day out here too. Its peaceful. As I walked along the stone path, I suddenly felt something pulse against my neck. I looked down, frightened at what I might find, but saw only my necklace. It had been the cause of so many odd occurrences today. I picked it up off my chest, and examined it carefully. There wasn't anything strange about it, that I could see anyway, so why then had it pulsed?

With a sigh, I looked up, finding myself looking at a huge bright turquoise butterfly. Startled, I took a step back, but the butterfly didn't move. It fluttered closer to my face, flitting around me in a small circle. It flew next to my face, its wing brushing against my cheek. I smiled, extending a hand carefully, hoping it would land on my finger. For a moment it flitted around my hand and gently landed on my finger, crawling slowly toward my palm. Its feet tickled my skin as it walked, inching slowly forward. Looking up again, I noticed several hundred butterflies had now emerged and were flying around our small group. Stitch moved in the corner of my vision, and disappeared, and the next moment I felt his hands on my waist, his breath against my ear.

“You know,” he whispered, “butterflies are drawn to people with calm spirits and kind hearts.”

I smiled, and felt him smile against my cheek. Relishing in the feeling of his hands around me, his closeness, his smell, I stood with my eyes closed for a few moments. He angled his head toward mine, as if he was going to kiss my cheek, but stopped. I turned slowly so I didn't frighten the butterfly resting on my finger until I was facing Stitch. His hands still lingered on my hips, his body only inches from mine. My heart sped up again, and I felt my cheeks turn red. His gentle green eyes were locked on mine, his dark hair falling messily over his forehead, sweet smile on his lips. He looked down at the butterfly in my hands and smiled. I held my finger out where the butterfly sat, and he raised one of his hands, finger extended and touched it to mine. We stood, eyes locked, the air full of a strange tension. I couldn't quite explain the feeling, or why I felt it. The butterfly crawled slowly from my finger to his, and each step it took, Stitch seemed to pull me closer to him. The longer I stared into his eyes the more obscure the world around us became; the sounds of Kitty's fawning washed away, the trees fell from view and the butterflies vanished. It was just he and I, nothing else.

When the butterfly had crossed from my hand to his, he took my hand, lacing his fingers between mine, holding it in suspension, his eyes never moving from mine. I stepped into him, my lips parting, preparing to say something, but whatever it was got lost as I felt his body against mine, his hard lean muscles beneath his shirt flush with my body. My head started to spin, and my heart raced. I could feel his heart pounding in his chest, and yet despite its speed, his breath was even and calm. How can he be so calm? I asked myself? My logic was falling to pieces, and despite the voice in the back of my head that kept screaming Tony's name, I leaned forward, standing up on my toes. My heart sped up again. Just do it. Urged a voice in my head, lean in and kiss him. Hesitantly, I moved in. He stood quite still, his eyes still locked on mine, a strange emotion crossing his eyes, and he backed out, slowly releasing his hold on my hand and hip.

“As much as I want it, love,” he whispered, his eyes now focused on the ground, “I can't do that knowing you have a boyfriend back home who loves you.”

I felt as if I had run head on into a brick wall at ninety miles an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment