Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Flash Fiction

This is a little flash fiction piece I wrote based on the song "Kiss It All Better" by He Is We. I rather like the way it turned out. Tell me what you think.




Kiss It Better

“Give me your wallets and valuable, now, and no one gets hurt.” The moonlight refracted off the muzzle of the mugger’s gun.

Her stomach clenches as she gasps, coating her lungs with frost. Trembling, she slowly moves her purse down her arm, eyes locked on the gun aimed at her.  As she extends her purse to the man her boyfriend makes a sudden movement beside her, and then a searing pain rockets through her body. Falling to her knees, she watches as the smoking gun fell with her and the coward fled the scene.

He drops beside her, clinging to her bleeding body; her name plays on repeat from his lips, the sound echoing in the parking structure. Blood stains his hands as he tries to staunch the bleeding wound in her chest. The Tiffany’s box in his coat pocket stabs his leg uncomfortably as she shifts to look weakly up at him.

Her hand finds his cheek, fingers cold as ice. “Kiss it all better,” She cries, “I’m not ready to go.”

 “I’m so sorry.” He says again and again.

“It’s not your fault, love. You didn’t know.” She coughs, “You didn’t know.”

And then she’s gone.

Shaking, he takes her gold hand in his and kisses her face.

“Everything will be all right,” he says.

On the ground beside her ne notices the gun, rage filling his being, churning his thoughts and feelings, mutating them into poison that fills his veins. Picking up the murderer’s weapon he runs after him, fire in his eyes.

“I’ll avenge my lover tonight,” He says.

Waking with a start he sits up, reaching to his left instinctively. She does not lie beside him, and hasn’t for years. He sits behind prison bars; twenty-five to life, and she’s not in his arms. How he had thought that a bullet to the heart through the back of the man who tore his world apart would fix things was beyond him. But he holds onto her memory. All she is, is a memory.

Falling back onto his pillow he cries,

“Stay with me until I fall asleep. Stay with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment